Thursday, May 26, 2011

Osama and the Media

By now the whole world is aware of the death of Osama bin Laden. Ignoring for a second all the political ramifications of his death, I'd like to bring up the numerous media references to his execution. From Saturday Night Live to Facebook, there have been many mentions of it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I first heard about his death while on facebook. I was working on some assignment, and was up later than usual with facebook on in a separate window. I occassionally glanced at my facebook news feed to see what my friends were doing in order to distract myself from the assignment every 10 or 15 minutes. I don't remember the exact time, but I started to see posts saying things like "We got him!" and stuff like that. Eventually, people began posting more details, and I realized what had happened.

The next episode of Saturday Night Live, with Tina Fey as the host, featured several references to the event, including a skit called "Mermaid" which was a parody of The Little Mermaid movie in which Osama's body floated down to the characters, who didn't want that kind of sea trash around. Bin Laden was also a main component of the following weeks' cold open, where Fred Armisen played a triumphant Obama who couldn't stop talking about how he killed Osama during a speech that was supposed to be about an entirely different topic. While amusing, this does bring up the real possibility of this event being a factor in Obama's favor during the next election.

No comments:

Post a Comment